Handling & Safety
Handling & Storage
- Handle Open Joist™ upright and by bottom chord.
- Avoid excessive flat-wise bending of Open Joist.
- Store Open Joist on blocks out of mud and water.
- Blocks should be long enough to support entire bundle width and be spaced about 10' apart.
- Blocks should provide even support for bundles.
- Bundles should not be stacked more than three high with stickers between bundles located vertically above blocks on ground.
- Bundles of Open Joist stored outdoors should be wrapped or covered for protection from weather.
- Bundles should remain banded until ready for use.
- Exercise caution when breaking bands to avoid injury.
- Do not exceed design loads or allowed spans.
- Distribute piles of plywood, OSB, or other materials in small bundles.
- Do not overload the Open Joist members.
- Double check drawings to verify Open Joist depth, span, spacing, loading, bearing details, bridging requirements, and bracing details.
- Concentrated loads in excess of 50 pounds should not be hung
from the bottom chord of an Open Joist. Concentrated loads may require joist
reinforcement. Call 1-866-243-7200 for technical assistance.
- Do Not Cut, Do Not Notch, and Do Not Drill Open Joist.
- Check framing layout to avoid conflict with drain traps.